507 got sick after eating McDonald’s salads

    507 cases of illness were reported to the FDA from people who ate salads at McDonald’s.

    “As of August 23, 2018, a total of 507 laboratory-confirmed cases of Cyclospora infection were reported in people who consumed salads from McDonald’s restaurants; the cases were reported by 15 states and New York City,” the FDA said.

    “The investigation is ongoing and the FDA is currently reviewing distribution and supplier information for romaine and carrots.”

    The first reported case became ill on May 20, 2018 and the most recent reported case became ill on July 10, 2018, with a median illness onset date of June 28, 2018, according to CDC.

    • CDC has not received complete information for approximately 60% of reported cases, but there are two people known to have been hospitalized.

    McDonald’s stopped selling the salads and has changed its supplier in affected states.

    “The health and safety of our customers and the people who work in McDonald’s restaurants is always our top priority. The additional states identified by the FDA and CDC are among the same states where a week ago we proactively decided to remove our lettuce blend in impacted restaurants and replace it through a different supplier,” the company said.

    “McDonald’s is committed to the highest standards of food safety and quality and we continue to cooperate and support regulatory and public health officials in their investigations.”

    General Cyclospora Information:

    • Cyclospora is a type of microscopic parasite. People can become infected with Cyclospora by consuming food or water contaminated with the parasite.

    • Unlike other foodborne pathogens, Cyclospora is not transmitted directly from one person to another (e.g., by ill food handlers).

    • Most people infected with Cyclospora develop diarrhea, but other symptoms can occur, including weight loss, loss of appetite, bloating, increased gas, nausea, fatigue, vomiting, fever, and abdominal cramps.

    • These symptoms begin on average a week (range: 2 days to ≥2 weeks) after ingesting the parasite. In some people, diarrhea may be so severe that they need to be hospitalized.

    • If untreated, symptoms can persist for several weeks or a month or more.

    • Anyone can be infected with Cyclospora.

    • Talk to your doctor if you have symptoms of a Cyclospora infection and report your illness to your local health department.

    LEAVE A REPLY

    Please enter your comment!
    Please enter your name here